February 14, 2012

Strawberry Cake

What better dessert to make for Valentine's Day than a pink cake?!  A yummy, strawberry, pink cake!  And it happens to be my hubby's favorite...win, win, win!

This recipe has been in my family as long as I can remember.  My grandmother makes it and so does my mom, and we even have pictures of this cake at my 2nd birthday party.  I think it has evolved a little over the years.  My grandmother makes it as a layer cake and her icing is thicker.  This is the way my mom makes it.   It is super moist and delicious!

Strawberry Cake
From Margaret Knox and Joanna Knox

1 box white cake mix
1 3-oz. package strawberry jello
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water
16 oz. frozen sliced strawberries, thawed (the kind in a tub, not a bag)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor.

Mix cake mix, jello, flour, oil, eggs, vanilla, water and a little more than half the strawberries.  Bake in a greased 9x13" pan at 350 for about 30 minutes or until done.

Once the cake has cooled, prick it several times with a fork.  This will allow the icing to soak into the cake.  Mix the rest of the strawberries, powdered sugar and butter on high speed until well blended.  Pour over cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment