February 2, 2012

Cheesy Stuffed Meatballs

I never really cared for meatballs when I was growing up.  I never really liked spaghetti either.  In fact, when my mom would make spaghetti for us sometimes I would just melt a piece of American cheese over the pasta and skip the sauce and meatballs altogether.  I changed my ways in college when I started cooking for myself.  Spaghetti with meat sauce became a regular staple because it was so easy.  A few years ago I decided to give meatballs another try too and I'm glad I did because these are so yummy!  They can be served on a sub sandwich or on spaghetti.

Cheesy Stuffed Meatballs
From Classic Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals (title in book is Super Sub Balls)

1 & 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (a shake or two)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 medium Spanish onion, minced
A handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 cup Italian bread crumbs (a couple of good handfuls)
4 shakes Worcestershire sauce
2/3 pound provolone cheese, cut into 16 small cubes
Olive oil, for baking sheet

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine meat, egg, red pepper flakes, garlic, onions, parsley, bread crumbs, and Worcestershire in a bowl.  Pull a palmful of meat mixture into your hand.  Nest a piece of provolone in the middle of the meat and form a ball.  Place on a nonstick cookie sheet brushed with a little olive oil.  Repeat until mixture is gone, about 16 balls later.  Place cookie sheet in oven and bake until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.

Notes:
1. I don't like the strong taste of raw onion, so I substitute onion powder.
2. I use mozzarella instead of provolone because I have it on hand.
3. I line a cookie sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray instead of olive oil.  Easy cleanup!

No comments:

Post a Comment