July 6, 2012

Southern Vanilla Ice Cream

I call this "Southern" because I'm pretty sure this is not the way they make ice cream up north.  As long as I can remember my family has been making this recipe (or similar, at least) for homemade ice cream.  When I was in middle school we invited our neighbors over to enjoy a bowl with us.  They were from Philadelphia, and after eating a few polite spoonfuls they stared at us like we were crazy for eating ice cream soup.  True, this is much softer than your traditional ice cream, and you have to eat it quickly because it melts faster too.  But this will always be my favorite.  Add a crushed Butterfinger bar and it's just about perfection!  I have modified this slightly from my Nanny's original recipe so that it will fit in my Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment for my mixer.

Southern Vanilla Ice Cream

3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 cup sugar
1 small can evaporated milk
2-3 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon flour
dash of salt
2 cups half-and-half
1 1/4 cup whole milk

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Mix the yolks and sugar until creamy, then fold into the egg whites.  Add evaporated milk, flour, salt and vanilla, gently folding until well combined.  Add half-and-half and milk, stir to combine.  Follow ice cream maker directions for freezing.  Place in freezer for a few hours before serving.

Note: You can substitute the milk and half-and-half with any combo of these two or heavy cream that you like.  In total you need 3 1/4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment