April 16, 2012

Orange-Vanilla Frozen Custard

I wasn't really wild about this.  In fact, the leftovers in my freezer will probably get dumped because it just wasn't worth the calories to me.  But maybe someone else would like this more than me.  I had high hopes for this ice cream.  I hoped it would taste like a creamsicle.  There was almost a hint of bitterness from the orange, and the orange zest was kind of clumpy and made the texture weird.  If I ever decide to make this again I would leave out the orange zest.  If you give this a try, let me know what you think!

Orange-Vanilla Frozen Custard
From Food Network Magazine

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
4 teaspoons grated orange zest

Whisk the cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth.  Whisk the eggs, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; whisk in the cornstarch mixture and the remaining 1 cup milk until smooth.

Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring until thick enough to coat a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes (do not boil).  Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice water.  Add the cream and stir until cool.  Remove from the ice bath; stir in the vanilla, orange juice concentrate and orange zest.  Cover and chill until cold.

Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.  Scrape into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe into cups.

Note:  I have the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer.  It's very convenient, but it doesn't really get the ice cream cold and thick enough.  I poured the ice cream into a container and let it freeze for a couple hours before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment