April 17, 2012

Chicken Tamale Casserole

This is another recipe I found on Pinterest.  It was part of a pin for 40 recipes using shredded chicken.  I often buy a 5 lb. pack of chicken breasts (they're cheaper that way!), cook them in water in the crockpot and then shred them and freeze them.  This was a good recipe to use up some of that chicken sitting around in my freezer!  Overall I really liked this.  It is maybe just slightly on the mushy side, but I think if you make sure you cook the cornbread mixture until it is really set it would be better.  Also, I would personally prefer it to be a little spicier, but for Ezra it was probably just right.  We all enjoyed this and I'll make it again!  It would also be good with other meats (ground beef with taco seasoning, pulled pork, leftover roast).

Chicken Tamale Casserole
From Cooking Light via Pinterest

1 cup preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided (I just used cheddar and grated it myself)
1/3 cup nonfat milk
1/4 cup egg substitute (I used 1 large egg)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 14.75 oz. can cream-style corn
1 8.5 oz. box corn muffin mix
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
cooking spray
1 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts (I used about 3 cups)
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream (I omitted this)

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chilies), stirring just until moist.  Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 15 minutes or until set.  Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top.  Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.  Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.  Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment