April 12, 2012

Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese

I've really been trying to cook more recipes from the food magazines I receive each month.  This is another Cooking Light recipe.  I don't know that it's super light, and I might have added an extra slice...or two...of bacon, but it was pretty good!

Bacon and Broccoli Mac and Cheese
From Cooking Light

3 cups broccoli florets
8 oz. uncooked rigatoni (I used rotini)
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk (I used 1%)
2 oz. reduced-fat processed American cheese, cut into pieces (I used 2% Velveeta)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (I left these out)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used about 3 1/2 slices :)  )
2 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup packed)


Steam broccoli 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.  Pat dry, and keep warm.  Cook pasta in boiling water in a large saucepan for 8 minutes or until al dente; drain and keep warm.  Wipe pan with paper towels, and return to medium heat.  Melt butter in pan.  Sprinkle flour over melted butter; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.  Gradually add milk to the flour mixture in pan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk.  Cook for 1 minute or until slightly thick, and remove from heat.  Add American cheese; stir until smooth.  Stir in sliced green onions and the remaining ingredients.  Stir in broccoli and pasta; serve immediately.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment