September 22, 2012

Chalupa

This meal is probably the nearest and dearest to my heart.  Not because it's fancy or even the best thing I've ever tasted, but because of the many memories it holds.  Chalupa is the meal-of-choice of my mom's side of the family.  We ate it for holidays, birthdays or just as an excuse to get together and eat!  And laugh!  When I think of chalupa I can't help but think of my loud family gathered around tables in my Nanny and Papa's kitchen.  They sold their house more than a decade ago and my Nanny has since passed away, but eating chalupa is true comfort food to my soul.

Chalupa

2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery (I usually leave this out simply because I don't like buying a whole bunch of celery just for 1 cup)
1 teaspoon salt (I usually season to taste)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco, I usually add to taste)
3 teaspoons chili powder (I usually season to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (I usually season to taste)
1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes, undrained
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1-2 cups pinto beans (tastes better if you soak and season dry beans, but a can of pinto beans also works)
tortilla chips
desired toppings (cheese, onion, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc.)

Add all ingredients except chips and toppings to a Dutch oven or slow cooker.  If using a Dutch oven, simmer for 3-4 hours.  If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Place chips on plate.  Crush them a little so that meat sauce will like flat (shouldn't look like nachos).  Top with meat sauce and desired toppings.

Note: This recipe freezes very well, so double or triple it when you make it!

1 comment:

  1. what do you mean this isn't the best thing you've ever tasted?!?

    ReplyDelete