September 13, 2012

Baked Beans

A recipe AND a picture?!  That's almost unheard of around here these days.  And guess what?  I have 2 more recipes with pictures that I need to post this week!  I guess life is finally slowing down just a tad.  Anyway, these beans turned out far better than I would have imagined.  That Paula Deen knows a thing or two!  I took her recipe and modified it just slightly.  I just expected your run-of-the-mill baked beans, but I think I could have had just beans for dinner and been happy.  I'll definitely be making these again (would be great for a pot luck!).

Baked Beans
Adapted from The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook

2 16-oz. cans baked beans
1 onion, chopped
6 slices bacon
4-5 tablespoons mustard
4-5 tablespoons ketchup
3-4 tablespoons brown sugar

Cook bacon in skillet.  Remove from pan to cool.  Sautee onion in bacon grease.  Crumble the bacon and mix all ingredients together.  (Use a slotted spoon to remove onions from grease if you don't want all the grease in your beans.)  Bake, covered, at 325 for 45 minutes to an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment