May 28, 2012

Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

Mmmm...if you are a lover of the mint and chocolate combo then these cookies are for you!  They are the perfect blend of chewy, chocolatey and minty!

These cookies were originally called Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies.  Well, the one thing I find absolutely intolerable about Texas - even worse than the crazy hot temperatures - is the giant grasshoppers!  No bug should be allowed to be that big, and I really don't want to think of them while I eat my delicious cookies, so I left that part out of the title.

These also call for green food coloring, but they taste just the same without it, and since nobody sees my colon, I don't think I need to die it a nice shade of green!

Ok!  Two gross tangents that I just chased there!  But really - these cookies are very addicting!  The cookies would be great even before adding the mint and chocolate toppings.  This would make a nice base recipe to experiment with.  Go make these!

Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
From Six Sisters' Stuff

For the cookie:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs

Mix ingredients together.  Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350 for 6-9 minutes.  Let cool completely.

For the peppermint frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened (You could probably get by with less.  Try using less and add more if necessary to get the right consistency.)
2 tablespoons millk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract (You can add a little more if you like!)
Green food coloring (optional) 


Mix all together.  Spread evenly over cooled cookies.


For the chocolate topping:
2 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I had extra left (shocking, I know!) so I would use about 1 1/2 cups.)
3/4 cup butter (I left this out and really didn't miss it.)


Melt together in a double boiler or in the microwave.  Spread evenly over peppermint frosting.
  

3 comments:

  1. These could be your "payment" to me for keeping Ezzie this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only made 1/2 a batch and they're almost gone. I can make some when I come next week! They taste a lot like Fudge Mint Brownies, but they're easier to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good. I vote yes to all above plans about making them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete