January 9, 2012

Pizza Chicken

Hi!  Welcome to my blog!  I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a long time, but I'm such a perfectionist that I've always talked myself out of it because I know it won't look very nice.  I'm learning to get over my perfectionist ways, so I decided to go for it.  I want a place to keep all my recipes, and I hope keeping a record of them will challenge me to try more new ones.  I hope you will enjoy them as well!

I found this recipe in Cooking Light.  I made a few changes because I rarely stick to a recipe unless I'm baking.  I only used dried herbs, and I used spaghetti sauce instead of marinara, as the original recipe calls for.  I almost always buy the onions and garlic flavored WalMart brand of spaghetti sauce because I'm cheap like that!  But you could even spring for the $6+ Emeril brand if your little heart so desires!  All 3 of us really enjoyed this (relatively) healthy meal.  My adapted version is below.

Pizza Chicken
Adapted from Cooking Light

cooking spray
16 slices pepperoni, chopped (I used turkey pepperoni)
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
garlic powder, to taste
dried oregano, to taste
dried basil, to taste
olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. chicken tenders
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat broiler to high.
Spray a small saucepan with cooking spray.  Add pepperoni and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.  Add spaghetti sauce and herbs and heat over medium-low heat while chicken cooks.
Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.  Add oil to pan and swirl to coat.  Salt and pepper chicken tenders to taste and add to skillet.  Cook chicken until cooked all the way through, turning at least once.
Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cheese.  Place skillet under broiler and cook until cheese melts and begins to brown.

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogging world, Lindsay! i love the background! this recipe sounds super easy and super delicious, Brian and i will have to try it one of these days while we're waiting for baby boy to arrive! :) can't wait to see what other recipes you have in store for us!
    Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lesley! I'm having fun with it so far. Hope you and Brian enjoy the recipes!

    ReplyDelete