January 11, 2012

Pie Crust

My mama would tell you you're a wimp if you don't make your own pie crust.  I'll hang my head low as I shamefully admit that sometimes I don't, but it really does taste better when it's homemade, and it's easy!

Pie Crust
From my mama, Joanna Knox, who got this recipe from some chick named Betty

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
2-3 tablespoons cold water
extra flour for dusting

Mix flour and salt.  Cut the shortening into the mix with a pastry cutter.  Add water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix in until dough seems to be the right consistency that you can roll it out.  Shape dough into a ball.  Flour the dough ball, working surface and rolling pin.  Smash the dough ball some so that it's like a thick, round pancake and begin to roll.  Roll it out until it's slightly bigger than the top of your pie plate.  Place in your pie plate or on top of your pie, crimp and/or trim the edges and bake according to pie recipe.  Makes 1 crust.

Notes:
1. You may want to roll this out on some wax paper if you're afraid you won't be able to pick it up in one piece off your working surface.
2. The crust will be more flaky if you either use cold shortening to begin with or wrap the dough up and let it chill for about 45 minutes after mixing. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, homemade crusts are best and not that hard once you get the hang of it (yes this is yo mama talkin). I got to where I substitute butter for the shortening most of the time to make it really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must admit, i don't always make my own crust either! but you know what makes homemade crust even EASIER?? a food processor!! that's the only way i make it now, and i use butter too. YUM!! thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete