January 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie


This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, Linda.  I love it, although somehow it always tastes better when she makes it.  I think food in general tastes better when someone else has made it for you.  I've modified her recipe slightly to be sure it won't bubble over too much.  You can also use turkey for this recipe.  That's what I did this time because we had tons left over after Christmas.  Enjoy this great comfort food!

Chicken Pot Pie
From Linda Kahler

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 can Veg-all or mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup (I use the low sodium kind)
2/3 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons butter, melted
seasonings to your liking
1 unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients except pie crust in a bowl and mix together.  Pour into a pie plate.  Top with pie crust and make it look pretty!  Cut a few slits in the crust to allow steam and juices to escape.  Bake at 350 until bubbly and crust starts to brown, or follow the directions on the box if you use a store-bought crust.

Notes:
1.  You can use 2 crusts - one on top and one on bottom.  This would taste even better, but I just use one on top to make it a little healthier.
2.  IMPORTANT - I highly recommend placing a rimmed cookie sheet under the pie plate when you bake this so that it doesn't bubble over to the bottom of your oven and make a giant mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment