June 20, 2012

Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn on the Cob)

Ok, yet another recipe without a picture.  I thought of it as I was halfway through eating my messy but oh-so-tasty ear of corn.  And I was too lazy to get up and grab the camera.  And I didn't really want to stop eating because it was so good!

We got a new grill recently and we're slowly having fun experimenting.  I thought grilled corn sounded pretty good, so we gave it a try.  After finding various conflicting methods of how to actually do this, we were pretty sure the chances of failure outweighed the chances of success.  But sometimes it's nice to be wrong!  (Yes, Mama (since you're one of the few who reads this) - I did just admit that I can be wrong.)  This corn turned out nearly perfect.  I say nearly because I think next time we might pull another layer or two of the husk off before grilling so a little more of the smoky flavor gets through.  I only cooked 2 ears (half the recipe) and I wish I'd made more!

Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn on the Cob)

4 ears of corn on the cob
1/3 cup mayonnaise
lime juice (to taste, just a small splash is fine)
cayenne pepper (to taste, a very small amount is probably plenty)
salt
small handful of chopped cilantro
2/3 cup grated cotija cheese (or Parmesan if you can't find cotija)

Soak ears of corn for 25-30 minutes.  Pull the husk back and remove the silk.  Wrap the husk back around the corn and tie securely with a piece of kitchen twine or a strand of the husk.  Grill over high heat for about 25 minutes, turning ever 2 minutes.

Mix mayo, lime juice, cayenne, salt and cilantro.  Spread mixture over cooked corn and sprinkle with cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment