June 16, 2012

Orange-Cream Cheese Brownies


I found this recipe back when I was working in an office in Orlando.  It was printed on a piece of junk mail that was sent to our company, and somehow I came across it and thought, "I need to make this!"  So I did and they were quite delicious!  To keep me from eating the whole pan by myself...To be a nice coworker, I took some with me to work to share.  After all, I wouldn't have the recipe if it weren't for my job.  Everyone loved them!  Especially my boss, who asked for the recipe.  I guess you could say I earned brownie points!

These really are yummy and a bit different with the orange and chocolate combo.  The original recipe has instructions for made-from-scratch brownies, but I always just use a box mix.

Orange-Cream Cheese Brownies

1 box brownie mix and ingredients listed on back to make the brownies
2-6 tablespoons frozen (thawed) orange juice concentrate
Yellow and red food coloring (I omit this.  The OJ gives it some orange color by itself.)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temp.
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening

Make brownies according to package directions.  Allow to cool completely.

Stir cream cheese, powdered sugar, orange juice and food coloring until smooth.  The original recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of OJ, but I use more (about 5).  Just start with 2 and add more if you like.  Spread icing over brownies.

Microwave chocolate chips and shortening until completely melted, about 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time in the microwave.  Drizzle over brownies.  Use a toothpick to swirl chocolate in with the icing.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment